We officially began this PTA just ONE YEAR AGO. Take a look at what we have accomplished together.
We created new methods of improved communications
- We created a website, an incredibly active Facebook page, Whatsapp group, a PTA weekly digital newsletter, added our news to the Principal’s weekly digest, and re-instituted Class Parents.
- PTA hosted 2 live parent-to-parent discussions for grades K-5, and a Facebook live Q&A for new PreK families.
We expanded STEAM learning (Science, Tech, Engineering, Arts and Math)
- We launched the Anderson Teacher Grant for Science ($500 went to Ms. Ores, PreK4)
- PTA hosted 4 MakerNights (in partnership with Mathnasium and other community businesses) and helped kick off a new MakerSpace in the library!
We added new exciting enriching activities for children, in and out of school
- PTA ran the after-school Enrichment program, creating an online registration and payment system! The Enrichment Committee put in hundreds of hours of combined work to offer over 30 classes a week for 350 children, and provided scholarships for 20 students in need.
- Developed a community partnership with Hamilton Park Neighborhood Association, planting in the Children's Garden & holding our first farmer's market craft fair.
- Enriched the school curriculum by adding performing arts with Nimbus Dance To Learn
- We partnered with WORD bookstore to have an author reading/signing at school.
- Continued and grew the Juice It Up program, serving fresh juice from perfectly-good fruits that would have been thrown out.
- With funding or time, we supported: the PreK pumpkin patch, Cordero Fun Run, Thanksgiving turkeys for families in need, the holiday show, health supplies for the nurse's office, uniform drive, literacy program awards, 8th grade ring ceremony, Jr. Honor Society ceremonies, Festival of the Stars and more!
We celebrated our amazing community, together
- First time school-wide events for Diwali and Holi, Maker Nights, a Sensory Event, and sponsored meals for a Teacher Appreciation potluck and back-to-school week.
- We honored parent volunteers at the annual Brotherhood Dinner, promoted and helped grow the Dinner Dance.
- Represented Cordero at the annual JC Education Fair for the first time.
- PTA hosted holiday and Valentine’s day shops for students.
We got organized!
- PTA created a 501(c)3 so we could more readily accept donations, created a Board structure and website with meeting minutes and important school information. We built a membership of almost 300 parents, teachers and supporters.
- We created an AmazonSmile account that allows people to shop at Amazon with a small proceed going to support PTA activities. This has brought in nearly $100 so far!
- In response to the district funding crisis, we started an Advocacy committee, and organized families to attend Board of Education and City Council meetings.
- We brought in almost $9,000 in new grant money this year! This supported Math and Maker Nights, Healthy Initiatives Juice It Up program, Sensory Night + more.
- And also, we served pizza at every general meeting!
PTA membership makes a difference.
Thank you to all the families, teachers and community friends for contributing their time and efforts to improve Cordero and make it a world-class community school! Every person makes a difference. Check out our facebook page and website for photos and news about all these great events and accomplishments. Thank you so much for your continued support, and we welcome any and all donations of time, gifts and energy.
Get ready for next year!
Questions or ideas? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.